Every since I made these Crunchy Baked Chickpeas last week that my girl Jennifer posted, I have been a little obsessed with these healthy little things.
So I decided to try ones with a little sweet side to them to satisfy my cravings…..Maple Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas!
I made one batch and completely failed it. I poured my mixture over them and THEN baked them. NO good. The syrup and/or brown sugar burned.
Then decided to try it a different way and YAY….The best little sweet healthy snack was born! I roasted the chickpeas plain first. Then coated them with the mixture and put them back in the oven to caramelize them. YUMMY YUM YUM!
They taste like a sweetened cereal! And the kids LOVED them!!
I actually soaked my own bag of chickpeas this time instead of buying a can just in case I failed again. I have SO many more for so much cheaper. The whole bag of dried peas cost $1.79. And I bet I have 4 times as many as one can.
1 – 15 oz can Chickpeas or Garbanzo Beans
1 TBSP Olive oil
1 TBSP maple syrup
1 TBSP brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Pat them dry with a paper towel.
3. Spread the chickpeas on baking sheet line with parchment paper.
4. Bake for 45- 50 minutes. Give the pan a little shake every 15 minutes to move them around. You want to bake them until they are crunchy all the way through. Test one. If it’s still soft in the middle, cook a little longer. Re=test until completely crunchy.
5. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, maple syrup , brown sugar, cinnamon.
6. Put the chickpeas into the the maple syrup mixture and toss until they are coated.
7. Put them back onto the lined baking sheet and caramelize for about 10-15 mins.
8. Remove and ENJOY!