On Day 4 of 30 Days of Clean Eating, I wanted to share this easy Chicken and Kale Soup Recipe that I made. We had this for dinner and will eat it for lunch a couple of time as well this week.
Soups are a really great way to get lots of vegetables into your diet. It freezes well too which makes it the perfect go-to quick dinner if you are in a pinch instead of going out to a restaurant or grabbing take-out.
1 3 -4 lb Whole Chicken
1 lb of Baby Carrots, sliced
5 celery stalks, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
1 bag of fresh Kale, chopped (I find these around the leaf lettuces in my store)
3 Bay leaves
1 TBSP Poultry Seasoning
1/4 TSP Salt
1/2 TSP of Pepper
Great Northern White Beans, Optional (soak your own dry beans to avoid the sodium added to canned)
Brown Rice or Ditalini Pasta, Optional
1. Boil the whole chicken for about 40 minutes. (add enough water to cover the chicken)
2. Remove the chicken from broth and set aside to cool so you can remove the meat from the bones. Cut the meat into small chunks.
3. Skim off all the fat you can from the top of broth (I use a 1/2 cup measuring cup for my scooping)
4. Add remaining ingredients. Celery, Carrots, Kale, Bay Leaves, Poultry Seasoning, salt and pepper.
5. Cook for 30 mins – 1 hour
6. Then add back the chicken.
7. Cook for 1 more hour or until veggies are tender.